Recommended by Amazon...

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Counting down....

In less than ONE WEEK, I will be running 13.1 miles. For fun. Am I crazy? I think I might be. Last year, Jacob couldn't drag me out the door to run 2 miles, yet here I am, excited as can be for this great experience. Sooo...this past weekend we went to Grand Lodge. It too, was a great experience. We departed on Friday after seriously altering the day's plans. Jacob was supposed to ride down with his buddy Brian and I was supposed to drive down later in the day after Brian's wife got off of work. She got off of work early, so I had to pack in four hours worth of last-minute preparations into one hour so that Jacob could make it to Frisco on time for his meeting. It was kind of hectic, and we wound up being late anyway, but oh well. I didn't forget anything. Wooohoo!! Although, close call....I realized right before packing my bag in the car that I didn't pack myself any underwear. Yikes! Off to Friso we go, where we stay at the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in. I have never experienced valet parking or concierge service or anything like that. To be honest with you, I've never stayed in a hotel that has a mini-bar in the room. Naturally, I touched the containers of macadamia nuts and Red Bulls which signal magnetically that they have been removed and so we had $11 worth of mini-bar charges on our bill. They were glad to remove the charges when I explained what a retard I was. I learned quite a few things this weekend, for instance, never ever wear heels in San Francisco. I brought a pair of shoes with reasonable heels and two pairs of super tall super sexy shoes. Let me tell ya, those shoes are DANGEROUS when walking uphill, and downright deadly when walking downhill. Thank you Jacob for being a trooper and walking slowly with me and holding on to me so I wouldn't topple over. I also learned that everything in the Bay is ridiculously overpriced. Breakfast for 3? Can you say $75? OMG. Parking per day? $51.30. Double OMG. All-in-all it was an awesome weekend.

However. Yes there is a however. We found ourselves with people that don't care about their fitness. "Why would you run?" they ask. "You're not going to do that, watch," they said. Turned out they were right. Taking advantage of the adult weekend, we indulged in champagne and a $42 bottle of wine (which I didn't know was a $42 bottle of wine, OMG) as well as some other wine that was snuck into the hotel by our friends. We didn't run. At all. We set our alarm for early on Saturday morning so we could visit the fitness center, but that didn't happen. On Sunday morning we had to pack our room and check out before our business meeting at 9. We had also been up until 1 am so we did not greet the early morning sun. I feel ridiculous that we had these goals and didn't meet them. Darn our friends for being right. Runner buddies- how do you guys keep up with your training when those around you aren't supportive?

We are tapering this week so the runs are shorter. One run, one crosstrain, and then rest rest rest until Sunday. I'm keeping my eye out for the mailman this week because I am expecting my package from Team Sparkle!! Yay!! I am going to be sporting the hot pink Traveling Sparkle Skirt for my race and I am super duper excited about it. Usually I like to stay more under the radar and don't go out on a limb like this to stand out unless I'm part of a group so I'm a little eensy weensy bit nervous, but at the same time I am stoked!! I will make sure to post pictures.

I am looking for something tasty and effective for our Saturday night carb-loading dinner. We also have to figure out how exactly we are going to work out the breakfast situation on Sunday morning. I'm sure it will all work out fine. It better.

In other non-half-marathon news, I have committed to participating in a virtual 10k hosted by Running Diva Mom on 10-10-10. I am looking forward to it, and if you are looking for an event to run but can't find one that fits your schedule, this is a great one because it can be completed anytime between October 1st and 15th! Check it out HERE .

Oh, and definitely stop by Tall Mom on the Run's blog here to check out her awesome giveaway! Seriously cool running stuff going on here.

Hope everyone's fantastic and all that jazz, talk to y'all soon!!

1 comment:

  1. I can really relate to having people around me who just don't get why I run. Sometimes they get the best of me and I end up slacking off, but most of the time I sort of like to show them up a bit, rub it in their faces that I did in fact get out and run 4 miles before they sat down to breakfast :)

    Sometimes it's ok to be a little cocky! hehe

    ReplyDelete