Recommended by Amazon...

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Fit Family

First, I hope everyone had an amazing Easter! We had a fun-filled weekend with friends and family. We got a little bit of sleep, enjoyed a lot of sun, and endured sticky fingers and sugar hyped children from Friday evening on until Sunday night. It was great!

Over the past several weeks, my husband has been riding his bicycle to work. He has wanted to do this for years but has never actually sacked up and done it. It's 9-ish miles to work so it's around 20 miles round trip. He has to get up an hour and a half earlier to get prepared to head out. He gives himself 45 minutes to ride there and about 15 to change into his work clothes and boots. On the way home he takes it a little bit easier, but it still takes him no longer than an hour. This is very exciting for him and being that he has a slightly obsessive personality he started spending a lot of time perusing Craigslist for street bikes (he currently is doing his riding on a mountain bike) and parts. He stumbled across a few decent deals on a bike for me which lead to a obsession with finding me a bike. Long story short, he built himself a new-old bike (new to us, but used parts and a ten year old frame) and I am now the proud owner of a new-old bike of my own!

My new baby is a 2001 Specialized Stumpjumper, red and black, full suspension beast. My husband bought it brand new and it's mine now. Alllllll miiiiiiine. Naturally, this meant that I had to actually, you know, like, ride it? Anyone wanna guess when the last time was that I actually rode a bike? My age still ended in -teen. Probably seventeen to be exact. You know how they say you never forget how to ride a bike? Turns out I was riding my bike wrong my whole freakin life. In my own defense I never actually had a nice mountain bike, I always rode cruiser-esque deals where your hands are above your butt. I felt like I was going to flip over the handlebars of this bike. It was awkward and nervewracking riding it, and after just a few little turns around the front of the house I called it quits. Next day I gave it another try and almost ate it in my driveway. There's a nice little skidmark on the concrete as evidence. Jacob tried not to laugh, but I heard a little snort come out.

Eventually the goal is to have me confident enough to actually ride around town on the bike without running into poles or parked cars. We would like to get Justice a trailer or something since Isaiah is big enough to ride for shorter distances. Jacob took him out yesterday for a nice cruise around the neighborhood. It was so cute hearing them laughing together outside as they returned home. I can't wait until we are the family that pulls up at the frozen yogurt shop on our bikes and goes for outings on the bike trails. I love our new fit family!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment